Misery Loves Calvin

Lent is all about being miserable. What better way to celebrate misery than to read John Calvin's infamous work, Institutes of the Christian Religion?

Monday, March 25, 2013

Book II Chapter 17

"Wow, I am so glad that you rescued me," you sat to your rescuer as your car sits in the background still ablaze. "It is a good thing that you happened to be driving by."

"There was no coincidence involved in my pulling you from that car," said the rescuer.

"What do you mean?"

"I followed you, waiting for you to drive off the road," the rescuer responds, smiling. "I saw the fence post you hit. I knew it would puncture your gas tank."

"Wow," you say in amazement. "I feel so honored. What did I ever do to deserve your attention?"

The rescuer's smile disappears. "You did nothing. You are completely undeserving. It was you who was texting. This accident was your fault. I did not rescue you because you deserved it."

"Then," you scratch your head, thinking. "Why did you rescue me? I don't get it."

"I rescued you because it was my plan all along." The rescuer is smiling once again. "You have now seen my mercy and grace! Look at my hands, my wounds!"

The rescuer lifts up his hands so that you can see them. They are burnt and still smoking. You have to look away in disgust. The rescuer, however, has no such qualms. He stares at his smoldering hands with a look of wonder and says, "Now you see it is me that has the superior merit and not you."

The rescuer gets up and walks away, and you are somehow glad to see him go.


No comments:

Post a Comment